FUE Hair Transplant- Follicular Unit Extraction
FUE Hair Transplant is one of the modern and most famous hair restoration techniques, which doctors are using nowadays. The procedure is not new; surgeons have been using transplantation techniques (Punch Hair Transplant) since 1950. There were many limitations in older techniques but these modern automated FUE techniques overcome their limitations. Fue hair transplant in Pakistan is performed by Board certified hair restoration surgeons like the rest of the world. It is a least invasive and without stitches procedure hence patients prefer this technique.
FUE Hair Transplant Methodology
In every surgery procedure, there are two main things:
In FUE Transplantation, the implantation method is the same as in other FUT (Follicular Unit Hair Transplant) techniques, but the implantation method is different. And, this implantation method makes FUE different from others.
After proper local anesthesia (Xylocaine, 1% diluted with saline) over the whole donor area, the grafts are collected from the donor area with 0.8-1.0 mm special micro-punches. All the extraction procedure is done by professional technicians only.
This is the foremost time-consuming part of the full procedure. The extracted graft normally contains 1 to 4 hairs (rarely 5 or 6).
Micro-punch has two sides, one is sharp and the other one is dull. With the help of a sharp side, a little incision is done around the follicle unit. Then the dull side is introduced to lose the follicular unit. Finally, with the help of forceps, the graft is taken out gently and preserved in saline for further use.
This is the last step of the FUE Hair Transplant technique. Now the follicular grafts are ready, the surgeon makes tiny holes called incisions, with the help of needles in the selected area. Then they gently place grafts in these little holes. During one session, a surgeon may place hundreds or thousands of grafts.
After transplantation, the scalp will be covered with gauzes. Twinges are removed after 10 days of surgery.
Advantages of FUE Hair Transplant
There are many advantages of FUE technique, some of them are written below.
- A fully automated hair transplant machine is used in this technique which provides a high extraction rate in limited time.
- Robotics is additionally utilized in the FUE technique which gives more accuracy and repeatability.
- Easy to handle, only 1 doctor with one or two assistants can handle it.
- Minimal recovery time for patients.
- Less equipment is required.
- Also support short hairs.
- Micro-punches are used; make microscopic scars that are almost invisible.
- No need to visit the clinic again and again.
- Hair growth is constant.
Limitations in FUE technique
- FUE is a time-consuming and tedious procedure. The surgeon needs to take short breaks within the surgery.
- The long procedure of FUE transplantation creates discomfort for the patient because the patient has to lie in a prone position for a long time.
- There is a limited number of follicular grafts extractions per day which leads to multiple sessions.
- Some surgeons have introduced mega-sessions up to 2000 grafts in a day. This can be a risky thing that patients may have lost the donor part forever.
Well, all the items associated with the FUE Hair Transplant method have described. There are many things to prefer this method over traditional hair plantation techniques. Although some improvements are needed but now FUE is the most advanced technology during this age.